YOU WEREN’T THERE MAN.. YOU WEREN’T THERE!
This guy saved us on Ha Giang Loop - it was one of the hardest, worst & best experiences of my life.. A loop that should @josh
.stansfield “take an HOUR max” turned into 6 😂
About 40 mins started going Pete tong; * Road disappears, end up at a kind of quarry where they’ve been blowing up rock to crush it. Somehow make it through without popping tyres. * Path blocked by huge pile gravel: they’re laying concrete to make the road! Let us through * Check maps again - main road is 1 MILE away * Get to bottom.. it’s a river! Guy points us through the river then up a muddy hill through the jungle.. we drive through river
* I go first up the hill spinning bad, make it about 300m then realise nobody following me. Now pitch black with fireflies
rocks up but no josh..we hear “help!” 😂- Josh has stacked it off the side of the hill
* Drag bike out, all pushing it up the hill cos he’s got no grip, all slipping like hell, monsoon rain is smashing down now, thunder / lightening
* reach our bikes, we’re all trying to get out, this point clay is smooth and ridic slippy
* All 3 bikes stuck in diff places over the mile, all trying to push each other out but failing for 2/3 hours
* completely dejected, no chance we are getting out, can’t even walk without failing over, rain smashing down
* Knock on this wood-cabin, guy answers but can’t speak English. * Start using google translate for about 20 mins to try get help.
* He eventually got what was going on. Whacks on rain coat, head torch but comes out BAREFOOT
* Manages to get all bikes out with help from us getting mud slung in our face as he revs / pushes too
* Sheer elation as we got out of the jungle 4 hours later.. everyone hugged him & gave him some money which he refused but we insisted he take. * Start driving back (60mins!) , roads flooded, still pissing⛈ it down, ⚡️lightening illuminating the whole mountain ⛰ , everyone’s quiet. Think it dawned us like wtf just happened, that was insane, how did we get out.. all laughing , driving in a line together - best experience I’ve had travelling yet.
Come back next day (walked down!) to say thanks again!