MY FAVORITE REGIONS 💕
Falling in love with a country is like falling in love with a person- you can list dozens of perfectly good reasons, but there are no words for that ineffable magic. In my travels to every country I’ve fallen in love with three regions:
1. The Arabian Peninsula- my home for the past 8 years, the Gulf feels most special to me. More than anywhere else, every day here I am learning about the issues I’m interested in: Economic Development and Identity (race, gender, class, sexuality, religion). I’m also SO optimistic about the progress here. We’re not perfect- but there’s nowhere I believe in more. The UAE 🇦🇪 is definitely my favorite, but I love our neighbors 🇧🇭 🇴🇲 🇸🇦 🇰🇼 which have similar growth stories, dynamic histories, and the most hospitable people.
2. East Africa- my heart is in Tanzania 🇹🇿 where I own a farm, go every year, and speak the language- Kiswahili. However, I’ve spent more time in Kenya 🇰🇪, living 6 months in Nairobi- Africa’s best city. I also return often to Rwanda 🇷🇼 which can teach us more about humanity than anywhere. I was blown away by Burundi 🇧🇮, Uganda 🇺🇬, and DRC 🇨🇩 but have been only once to each.
3. The Caribbean - In boarding school I always danced soca with the Trinis 🇹🇹, Jamaicans 🇯🇲, and Bajans 🇧🇧. The food (doubles!!) and liming vibes make my spirit feel full! I’ve stayed the longest (2 weeks) on St Kitts 🇰🇳, think Grenada 🇬🇩 is the most beautiful, and love the nature in Dominica 🇩🇲- but there isn’t once spot I always return to.
Two other honorable mentions:
* South Pacific - again I love the island vibes and am fascinated by the unique complications these countries face (economic growth, climate change, health). My favorites so far were Kiribati 🇰🇮, Tuvalu 🇹🇻, and Tonga 🇹🇴
* South Asia 🇮🇳 🇵🇰 🇳🇵 🇧🇩 🇱🇰 🇲🇻- one of the regions I’ve lived in the most- there’s something about it that keeps me always coming back- but to be honest it’s a love-hate relationship!
What’s your favorite?