So this would be my favourite part!! The part I love the most about this coat is the upper shoulder details I attached them all by hand & I even did the side with the shoulder armour on top even though you couldn’t see it lol. The shoulder details were made up of a spike bracelet I found in an op shop and some purchased chain from homecraft, which I painstakingly fiddled into a different chain style with pins directly onto the shoulders. So many pins were used to hold everything in place on my dressform, while I went through each link in the chains and secured them down so they had no chance of moving. For the larger chain I hand sewed it in place at both sides so it had no hope of coming undone or moving. This surprisingly was only 1hr & half work.
The silver beaded trim you see going down each seam was attached by machine & all I can say is thank god my sewing machine was willing to attach it all. Because I so didn’t want to attach this by hand when I had so many other things to do. For the sleeves I first had to lightly paint them with watered down black acrylics to match the references. Then it was on to slicing of the sleeves I simply ripped them apart with a seam ripper and sharp pointed scissors. There was no plan I just knew where the general location of where they were meant to be, so they aren’t symmetrical but there are similar to each other. I also got rid of the hem at the wrist & shredded everything with sandpaper afterwards.
For the rest of the coat, I partly started distressing this while I was making the collar because I had to attach the fur. But what I did was just attack the lower half of the coat with scissors, sandpaper, stream ripper. And then the upper half of the coat was attacked with sandpaper and a rotary tool which I strongly recommend wearing a respirator while using as you don’t want clothing fibres & dust in your lungs!! Once the distressing was done I then painstakingly went about painting the dusty aged look her clothing has. By using watered down acrylics in grey, white & sponges. I so wish I had a spray gun for this bit but I did my best with what I had & I still think it turned out pretty close. Next up the undershirt~