🏳️🌈Homophobia can wear many masks: it can be an insistent gaze, violence, insult, rape... God knows how many times I've experienced homophobia. Here is a non-exhaustive list of some situations that I had to face and that I still have to face today:
- One morning while I was waiting for the subway to go to work, a man spit on me while calling me a faggot;
- One day a woman with her stroller needed help to go down the stairs of the subway, so I offered to help her but she told me not to touch either her stroller or her child because people like me were scumbags;
- Last year, a stranger did not stop following me in my neighborhood and always stood in front of my apartment and masturbated in front of my window. When I went to press charges for sexual harassment, the police told me it was a bit of my fault if this man harassed and stalked me because of the way I dressed and looked;
- One night while going back home with a friend, a man came to me and asked if I was a woman or a man. I told him that I was a man but that I did not care much about labels, he began to insult me before pushing me against the wall and try to rape me right in front of my friend and telling me I should be loving it since I'm a cocksucker;
- Last year, while I was going out with my best friend, a dude with his friend stopped me to ask me without any shame what I could do with such luscious lips while touching his crotch. Once again in front of my friend;
- Last but not least: two gay men looking like Freddie Mercury openly and verbally assaulted me last year, because according to them people like me (very androgynous, effeminate, gender-bending) are the reason why gays continue to suffer from the stereotype of being effeminate and non-masculine man. It happened in the gay neighborhood of Paris.
As you can see we still have a long way to go... and we have to start first within our own community. We can't ask for equality and a homophobia-free society if we - LGBTQ+ people - can't even stop being racist and homophobic towards our own people (hello MASC4MASC, NO BLACK, NO FEM, NO ASIAN - you know who you are). 🏳️🌈